Sunday, June 11, 2006

Want to get to know your grandkids? Visit MySpace.com

A few Sundays ago while checking out my grandson Aaron's blog I found his post about myspace.com. I have to admit I freaked out when I first saw the post and thought ohmygosh I can't believe this kid is allowed to use MySpace. A lot of bad hype about MySpace, enough to scare someone my age for sure, but after reading Aaron's post I decided to check his MySpace out.


Although I haven't yet gathered enough nerve to actually sign up, I have had a field day (at what I can access without signing up) reading about three of my grandkids and one grandkid-in-law to be) all of whom have the coolest MySpaces with terrific photos and music and the whole nine yards. I now know what they like to read and do, what kind of music and movies they like and who some of their friends are. Their spaces are so creative!

My oldest son ("the" dad of these kids) told me he logs on to MySpace on a regular basis just to check and make sure everything is kosher, which is the point Aaron made on his blog about parents monitoring the site.

I have to be honest, it is still a little scary for me to grasp all this, because everything I learned about the kids, I know anyone can learn about them, but as Aaron pointed out you can find evil anywhere you go on the Internet these days (my words not his).

It was just a lot of fun to read through the kids' MySpace spaces and get to know them better. I really loved all the photos of the kids and their friends.

So, if you are a grandparent and your grandkids are on MySpace and you haven't visited their space, I encourage you do so. You will learn some pretty cool stuff.

Just a sidebar here. I also learned why some of the kids spell the way they do. I actually thought Aaron had a problem with spelling when I read his blog on blogger but after visiting MySpace I know that is their lingo (for lack of a better word) like some people use for IMs. That made me feel a lot better, too!!! :]

1 comment:

Jim Wheeler said...

I am not a very big fan of myspace in general and do not care for some of the spaces of some of the friends that my kids are linked to, but hey, this the drive-in of their generation. This is where they congregate to talk. Glad you were brave enough to check it out.