Thursday, June 01, 2006

A book is a window to the world Part 2

Part 2

I am having a terrible time trying to limit the books I want to list. Not that anyone cares, but I don't want to leave out any really good reads (in my opinion that is).

I'll cut right to the chase and go with my favorite political books, most are bios auto or otherwise. I thought about how to sort these so here's what I decided on . . . Pro Clinton/Anti Bush. Please note that not all my Clinton books are positive in Clinton's favor, but hey, most are, because I don't like to read anything not true about him. :]

Pro Clinton
My Life, Bill Clinton
Living History, Hillary Rodham Clinton
Bill Clinton An American Journey, Nigel Hamilton
The Clinton Wars, Sidney Blumenthal
Partners in Power, Roger Morris
The Natural, Joe Klein (I think this was written objectively)
A Vast Conspiracy, Jeffrey Toobin (I don't care for Toobin on the talk shows but he writes a good book)
Stickin' The Case for Loyalty, James Carville
Boy Clinton The Political Biography, R. Emmett Tyrrell, Jr.
The Agenda Inside the Clinton Whitehouse, Bob Woodward (I have read and own all Woodward's books, I can't say that he was very objective in this one)
First in His Class, David Maraniss (this was one of the first Clinton Books I read back in the mid 90s)
All Too Human, George Stephanopoulos (I loved this book! George was devoted to Bill Clinton until he just couldn't take anymore or the others ousted him whichever way you want to look at it. He was a great advisor and friend and I believe responsible for Clinton's earlier successes. A very candid look at the Clinton/Stephanopoulos relationship.)

Anti Bush
Bushwacked, Molly Ivins and Lou Dubose (love Molly Ivins, she is my favorite columnist)
Bushworld, Maureen Dowd
The Family: The Real Story of the Bush Dynasty, Kitty Kelley
The Bush Betrayal, James Bovard (this was on sale at Barnes and Noble. I haven't finished it yet)
Plan of Attack, Bob Woodward (good)

Odds and Ends
Diane Feinstein, Never Let Them See You Cry, Jerry Roberts
Friends in High Places, Web Hubbell (loved this one!)
Blinded By The Right: A Conscience of an Ex-Conservative, David Brock (interesting stuff on the American Spectator and other conservative powers to be)
Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot and Other Observations, Al Franken

There are so many more. I know a conservative reader can match this list with just the opposite in favor of Bush and the right. And that is why we cherish our freedom so much, because we are all entitled to our own political views.

I am sorry to say, and you are probably sorry to hear, that there will be a Part 3 and maybe Part 4 in this (what I now can call a) series on favorite books and authors. I haven't even started on the journalists yet.

No comments: