Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I just discovered Steinbeck

I have several rather detailed posts about the books I have read and what books interest me (mostly anything between a front and back cover) but this week I discovered an author I hadn't read before and now I think I will have to go through all his books.

I picked up a used copy of John Steinbeck's Cannery Row and I just fell in love with the characters and their era and especially how they handled the poverty that they lived in. I can't imagine how I have missed Steinbeck in all my reading but the Pulitzer and Nobel Prize author writes in a simple form and everything (at least in Cannery Row) is character driven.

I am now halfway through another of Steinbeck's books, Tortilla Flat. Both of these books are such fast reads, but very entertaining for literature.

Of course Steinbeck is best known for The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men and East of Eden. I believe movies were made of all of those and I probably started watching The Grapes of Wrath a dozen times over the years and it was just to depressing to sit through. Don't ask me to explain how I can read about the depression and hang on every word but can't bare to watch a movie about it. Sometimes I am a complicated person.

Anyway, I'm on to Steinbeck now, so I will move through his books for awhile. If they are all as good as the first two I have tackled, I am going to love my new discovery.

No comments: