Sunday, April 27, 2008

Husbands and the new fashions, they just don't get it!

I think the reason most of my same age friends and I love the latest fashion trend of soft, flowing, comfortable ladies wear is because we come from the torch your lingerie generation. We were the first generation to toss our girdles and burn our bras (not to be confused with anti-war protests or demonstrations of the same). Our quest was to feel free and liberated while dressing appropriately. Unfortunately, I don't think we ever accomplished the latter in the 60s. I'm not sure our daughters will ever fully appreciate or understand the sacrifices we made and the criticisms we absorbed to pave the way for today's fashions. We need to take some credit . . . because we deserve it.

This season the clothes that use to be under garments have been slightly tweaked and are now outer garments. They are fun to wear, easy to maintain, and feminine. In the past if it was feminine it usually wasn't fun to wear and easy to maintain. We have come a long way from the shirt waist and Diane von Furstenberg wrap dresses, for sure.

But wait Houston, we have a problem! Somehow, our husbands got left out of the what is fashionable today loop. And what is even worse . . . they are having a hard time telling the difference between under garments and outer garments.

I haven't changed all that much from when I was ten years old and my mother bought all my little plaid seersucker dresses in the same style but different colors. Once I find something that fits and feels good I want a dozen of whatever it is. That's why I loaded up on camisoles), one of every color the store had in stock, and oversized shirts to wear over them. I am in hog heaven to say the least. Or maybe I should say I was in hog heaven. The first morning of my new wardrobe I put on a black cami with a black pair of slacks and wore a white shirt unbuttoned of course. I'm feeling pretty good and think the new duds make me look more like I am 59 than 62(hey, three years means a lot at our age).

On the way to the car my spouse says matter of factly, "Don't forget to button your shirt,"

"Well, you're not suppose to button your shirt with this outfit," I replied in the same tone.

"Wait a minute," he says with an aghast look on his face. "You mean you're going to work like that?"

"Like what? This is the new style!" I said, as my fashion balloon began to deflate.

"Didn't you use to have a slip like that years ago?" he asked.

Okay that did it! I snapped up my shirt to the neck and got in the car. As soon as I hit I-44 I called my friend Nancy on my cell to relay the disaster I had just experienced. Here's what a good friend can do for you.

Nancy had a tale of her own. Seems like not long ago she was decked out in a new natural color linen cropped outfit with accessories fit to kill. When she returned home from Springfield and as she walked through the den her husband looked up from the paper and said "Hi hon, I like your pajamas!" Well, misery does love company because I was feeling much better after hearing Nancy's story.

The next time my spouse and I were in a department store, after much coaxing, I got him to take a run (and I do mean run) through the women's wear department (on his way to sporting goods) so he could see first hand what the new fashion look is all about. I'd like to say here that he said "Well, alright I see what you mean now." But, I can't lie. He never stopped shaking his head as he walked toward the turkey callers. That's when it hit me. Maybe if I can find a camisole in camouflage . . . this new look just might grow on him.

Nah . . . I doubt it.

No comments: