Wednesday, September 14, 2005

New horizons

I have accomplished two amazing things so far this week. On Tuesday I had an opportunity to fly in a helicopter (up front with the pilot) and today I think I finally have my blog started (not real sure on the blog thing yet). So, two things I have always wanted to do . . . and both in the same week.

The chopper ride was awesome! Getting up into the chopper was a little more work for someone who is not grace at work. But I made it . . . and getting out was a lot faster. I actually thought about the people rescued by helicopter in New Orleans last week and how difficult it must be for the rescue workers to get someone inside when they are dangling from a rope. My pilot had a hard time getting me in and we were setting on the ground. It's amazing that they didn't lose anyone in New Orleans in the process.

I teach a continuing education class on organizing (Decluttering "If you don't use it, lose it") at the local community college. Tonight I had a great group of students, most of whom were my age. We spend the first part of our lives accumulating things and the last part trying to get rid of them. Go figure.

Two major airlines filed bankruptcy today. This should be interesting to watch unfold.

The hurricane victims are still fresh on all our minds and in our prayers, but I wonder how long it will take us to move on and quickly forget the tragedy and those families that will never be the same. I hope we won't forget any time soon. For once, we all seem to have one thing in common regardless of who we are or what our preferences are . . . and that is to help the people of Katrina.

1 comment:

Jim Wheeler said...

What a great looking site. I can an only imagine what it was like for you to fly in a helicopter. Did you use any of your Italian while you were flying? :)