Sunday, September 18, 2005

Hope is alive

One would have to be a true believer in President Bill Clinton to reap the hope that he continues to pitch. This would be impossible for Clinton bashers on the right or those on the left who will never forgive Bill Clinton (or just plain disliked him to start with) . . . but for me . . . it lifts my heart to hear this man speak of hope for peace, hope for the ill, hope for the poor, hope for our economy, environment, and hope for all religions to work together for understanding and prosperity (not wealth mind you, but prosperity) for the world as a whole. We are now a global society and even if we are the greatest nation on this earth (which we are and always will be), we should learn that nothing can be fixed within one country or by one country, ever again.

When Bill Clinton was president I once said to a friend that President Clinton was a people's advocate, a mediator, an ambassador and that is what made him a good president. My friend replied that those are not part of a president's job description . . . that a president is a leader and a commander. I disagree. George W. Bush is a leader and a commander . . . and even if he were the most gentle of men, I find, that he comes across as being arrogant and I feel he has brought that tag to the United States of America.

The Clinton Global Initiative that met this weekend is a beginning effort to invite others to share in the responsibility for our world on a voluntary basis. We can criticise the effort or we can pray that it will make a difference. I pray for Mr. Bush even when I don't agree with him.

As a Christian I know that God will remain in control. I am praying that he will lead the CGI in their search and solutions in making the world a better place for all people.

2 comments:

Jim Wheeler said...

You know how I feel about Bill Clinton, but I do appreciate your passion. Keep the hope alive!

Jim

jbird said...

Hello,
First time I have seen your blog. I grew up in Arkansas when Bill was Governer, and I remember a different man. My father used to date one of his "girls" and this man is no Christian. My stepfather worked for him as a high ranking state employee and ended up resigning when we got a call from the Governer's office in the middle of the night requesting that my stepfather do something unethical. This was in the early and middle 80's. I am not a freaky right winger, and consider myself well informed. Bill Clinton is and always has been dangerous to our country. Morals do count for something and I am saddened to see you are so starstruck. Do some in depth research on him...I know what kind of man he is from first hand experience.