Thursday, September 15, 2005

Happiness is in the eye of the beholder

In five more minutes MST (my standard time) it will be Friday . . . good ole TGIF! Every Monday I start the week out with an overwhelming feeling of I can't get it all done, I'll never get caught up . . . only to find on Friday . . . that it's done and I am caught up!! Then over the weekend my mind rests enough to start thinking about what all there is to do next week and the whole cycle starts all over again, plus I waste a good weekend worrying about it.

I often think about people who by choice do manual labor, drive a car that is twenty years old, come home fall asleep on the sofa watching TV, and get up the next morning and do it all over again. People who are happier than most of us will ever be . . . really. They love their lives, enjoy what they do or don't do and have no goals for changing their lifestyle in the future because they are happy . . . even content.

Then, I question myself as to why I can't be that type of person. Why, regardless of what I accomplish, I have to think of what my next challenge will be and how or what I can do to top what I just did? Why can't I just tread a little water in life instead of constantly plunging ahead? My mind lives in a state of constant motion and lately my body is having a hard time keeping up.

Kudos to all the hard workers out there who are content with any job they have, with only wanting and needing a roof over their heads, food on the table, and a remote control that works. These are not disadvantaged people . . . they are happy people . . . and I admire them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on your new blog. Please do not sell yourself short about your position on contentment when comparing yourself to others. Being true to your nature and spirit I believe is what our Creator intended for us. Way to go, Girl!

Unknown said...

Lee,

My husband and I have the same problem if you want to call it that. We are self-employed and many times are envious of those who punch a time clock and get to go home and heat up a tv dinner and watch The Biggest Loser and are content. We are not programmed that way and wish we were sometimes. At 30 my husband had reached all the goals he had set for himself and was so unsettled because he did not know what to do with himself but to set even higher goals and reach for more. It's good and bad but we have passed this on to our kids, we won't let our kids say can't and we have a family motto or "Morris' don't quit" yes we are raising over achievers, hopefully it will not backfire. When I wake up in a cold sweat about work stress about our business I secretly wish I could check out at the time clock, but my Grandparents instilled entrepreuneural spirit in me and it stuck-don't discount your over acheiving spirit it's not a character flaw but a strength, it's about how you channel it.
Have a great week!!