Sunday, September 03, 2006

Sunday morning

I haven't posted for a couple of weeks. Life has been a little hectic. Fall classes started at the university where I work and our enrollment is up over 100 students from where we were this time last fall, so we all have felt a few growing pains the past two weeks, but good pains at that.

The days are getting shorter. Last week when I left early for the office I found it was still dark outside. The plus to that is driving into the city as the sun comes up. I always feel so inspired when I see the horizon with all it's indescribable colors. In the fall, by the time I reach our campus, I have usually spotted a couple of hotair balloons floating against those colors and it's a picture that a camera could never truly catch and one that only a city girl can truly appreciate.

I am the proud owner of a new laptop since I last posted. This morning I am sitting on my deck watching the rabbits run through the grass, the squirrels run across the phone wires, and the cows grazing in a nearby pasture. Aside from a slight breeze, you could hear a pin drop, it is so quiet.

We live on a dead end road on the very edge of our small town (population around 1200) on a hill that we share with only three other families, one of those being my parents. We have about three acres with a lot of beautiful old trees, a creek that you have to cross to get to our house, and everything from the above mentioned animals to wild turkeys that visit us in our front yard from time to time. As much as I love the city, and as run down as I feel our house is getting, I wouldn't trade our place for any choice property anywhere else. We have lived on this hill for almost 34 years.

From this vantage point I watched my youngest son ride down the road on his first tricycle, then first bicycle, and finally back out of the drive-way in his car the day he left for college. It is from this same spot that I now watch my son's children play when they visit. That gives me such a warm feeling, probably a feeling that only a mother and grandmother can appreciate.

Nothing much has changed on this hill in all these years except for the change of neighbors and the trees are taller . . . well, and I might be a few years older. It's still a special place to be, and I am surely enjoying it this Sunday morning.

2 comments:

Jim Wheeler said...

Nice to see you blogging again.

N. Lee "Leezy" Weeks said...

Thanks! Sorry you had to see that before I caught my here/hear typo. Oh how that makes me feel like an idiot when I do that. The editor of the papers I write for calls missing those errors as "goofreading" instead of "proofreading" . . . I certainly goofread that one.
:)
"M"